Jay P. Morgan from the Slanted lens made me aware of the PhotoFlex North Star Lite, even though Photoflex appears to be a sponsor of his videos I trust Jay P that this is a high quality 1k watt light. Brian Brown of BrownCow Productions made me aware of the Alzo 3000 light which has similar specs to the NorthStar light. When I researched it I saw that my friend Jem Schofield did a review on it last summer before it came out and he thought it was a steal at this price. Brian said he was in town today so he is here with me helping me test it out.
This is the light I have been waiting for?
- Affordable at $310
- Runs cool (LED)
- High published CRI
- 1000 watt equivalent, 9000 lux.
- Hard light that can be easily modified with common photography soft boxes
- Easy to gel
- Barn doors or grid for a pin point hard light.
- Don’t have to remove bulbs during travel
Light Output is it 1,000 watt equivalent?
- In our tests it sure seemed to be brighter than my 1k halogens. However I will do better testing next time.
- The skin tones looked a little too yellow/green even with the a custom white balance.
- But it was easy to fix in speed grade.
- Yes I could hear it in the fan from 80″ away.
- Brian talks about the construction.