These are the things I always check before recording video.
Run and Gun Style
- Resolution and frame rate
- AWB, if I have a few more seconds to spare I will see what the other WB settings look like on the screen
- ISO - inside outside?
- Picture Styles – normally shoot standard especially if I am running fast
- Shutter Speed – easy to jog it 50th for 1080 and 125th for 720
- then I check focus and hit record
Planned Shoot (Additional Items to Check)
- Custom white balance
- I will check the ‘blinky’s’ to see if I am over exposed anywhere (I am not too good at reading histograms yet)
- Use an 18% gray card to double check the exposure
- Double check the audio - disable the AGC on my t2i
Somethings I never check because I never change them
- AF mode – quick focus
- AF during movie – enable
- Movie exposure – manual
- Grid Display – grid 1
- Highlight Tone Priority – disable
- Always on Quick Focus using the center or top focus point,
- Auto Lighting Optimizer on standard.
Special thanks to Bill Voelker for the generous donation this week. Bill is only one of the very few freefall videographer that uses DSLR. 99.9% of them use Sony Camcorder. You can check out Bill’s videos on YouTube.