Why create a video with questions that I don’t know the answer to? Others might have the same questions. I understand that at least one or two people of Black Magic watch my videos so I have a feeling many of these questions will get answered.
I have watched all of Alexis Van Hurkman’s course on Resolve which are extremely helpful but I still have more questions.
Resolve 12.5.0.052 Questions (and now with some answers)
- Timeline: how do you zoom in on the timeline, not a big fan of how the scroll wheel responds and the + – keys don’t work all the time unless you have the right mouse focus area. Can I switch the scroll wheel with Alt/Scroll behavior? Answer: “I finally figured out that using + and – do not work well in Resolve I took a page from Freddie Wong to assign zoom to z and shift/z and it works great now.”
- Timeline: I am so confused on how to duplicate titles and make them unique.
- Timeline: Drag down the speed of a clip, why can’t I see the percentage?
- Timeline: how can I re-order the timelines in the edit tab? Answer: “You can’t re-order timelines — you’re stuck with creation order.” Thanks to Marc Wielage
- Timeline: I select a track I want to paste to, I paste but it always over writes the track below it. Answer: “You have to look where the [v1] red outline and the [ <> ] destination/edit active symbols are. if you put the [V1] into the v2 track and you disable the [ <> ] for track 1, you should be able to paste to track 2…” thanks to waltervolpatto
- Timeline: how can I select multiple clips and raise the audio 4dB for all of them at once? Answer: “go to the Inspector.” Thanks to gregor franz
- Timeline: when two video tracks are stacked, if I delete one, the other track collapses, can I change that behavior? Answer: “try right clicking and deleting instead of keyboard delete. I’m not home at the moment to try myself.” Aron. “just hit backspace.” Thanks to gregor franz
- Performance: I have no issues using Sony a7 XAVCS in 1080, but 4K I take a huge performance hit when editing when I don’t optimize media, for smaller project this is not an issue, but for larger project my scratch drive which is an SSD fills up so fast. Since I am getting the paid version of Resolve I will be able to use 2 GPU’s, if I got two GTX 1080’s would that help solve my issue? Answer: “h264 long GOP. bad. very bad. Two GPU will not help, a dual CPU with tons of core might. Proxy/optimize/convert in a friendly format.” Thanks to waltervolpatto. “XAVC-S is a Long-GOP H.264-based format that takes a lot of computing power just to play back, so you’re better off transcoding to a simpler format like ProRes or DNxHD to take the load off the computer.” Marc Wielage
- Plugins: where do I get a compressor plugins to help control my audio? Possible answer: “izotope ozone plugins” thanks to Jeremy Ables. Another Answer: “I’ve found most audio vst plugins work quite well.” Thanks to Leslie Wand. “Red 3 Compressor from Focusrite” thanks to mastertrollware