I was looking to do a high ISO test for the new Sony a7Rii, instead of boring charts I thought it would be fun to do an interview at insanely high ISO, so high most people in their right mind would never would never think of going. Blayne Chastain said he was flying his Remote Controlled Sailplanes with is friends Jon Padilla and Philip Van Drunen last night, so I picked that as my test. I shot this last night and edited this morning.
As the evening got darker, I was quickly going from ISO 6400 all the way to 25,600.
Few notes from the shoot:
- Everything but the interview in slog2 at ISO 800 with an ND filter and the Sony 10-18mm lens and the Canon 70-200mm lens
- We use the flashlight feature on two smart phones and covered them with napkins that you can see in the frame.
- The interview was shot in Neutral Profile with contrast turned down -3.
- During the interview that lasted about 30 minutes, the camera overheated and turned off 3 times.
- I used the Pilotfly H1+ gimbal
- Now that I can actually use slog2 outside without ND’ing the crap out of it I think I did an OK job with the slog footage, but I need more practice.