Fun free film I created over this past weekend.
We went up to Laramie Wyoming to visit family last weekend and my two nieces were playing volleyball so I thought it would be fun to create a somewhat loud action packed promo video for the players. I did it totally free because it is good practice for me and I just love to shoot anyway. My business also donated money to the team and they gave me a nice note, a poster and even a hat.
Song from Premiumbeat:
I wanted it be about family, the family they have created by playing together so long. 8 seniors were graduating so I wanted to do interviews with them. I wanted to ask silly questions and then the all important question of what volleyball means to them, where I hope they would mention all their friends and how they are family.
I love volleyball, I used to play 3 days a week when I lived in Kansas City for 10 years. I feel like I know the game but I have never filmed it.
I love the GoPro Hero 3 video with the music by Overwerk, can’t tell you how many times I watched it, it so epic and I love how it builds at the beginning. I liked it so much I created a GoPro style opening bumper for the video.
I learned a lot on this video, as I always do when I try to do something I’ve never done before.
- White balance: even though I custom white balanced I found the floor and what it reflected made everything too yellow. On this project I just stayed in Premiere and only played with the curves, which I have some success at cleaning up the shots but I still need to get better.
- The 5D3 does awesome at low light, I was shooting from 1600 up to 6400 and I applied no noise reduction and it looks pretty good. However I would have like to have used the Blackmagic Pocket camera on the wide shots because I as shooting at 720 for the slow motion and the 5D3 just breaks apart in terms of detail on the wide shots were the pocket camera would have kept all that nice detail.
- If you want to practice shooting at f2.8 this is a great place to do it.
- I just kept moving around the gym to get a many angles as I could.
- Record all the audio you can, try to get clean ball hits and hand claps because of the slow motion. You can hear I added them back it which I think is a nice finishing touch.
- I had fun getting to know the girls in the interviews we did, they are a lot of fun and said stuff on camera that surprised me. But I really didn’t phrase the questions right and couldn’t use the interviews.
They ended up losing both of the matches, the first game the didn’t play well at all as you can see here. But you wouldn’t know that from my video, would you?
Can you make money from this type of video? I think you can, but not from the school, the money would have to come from the parents. You could do it on speculation that you would get some parents to buy the video after you completed it.
So what did you think of the video?
Snow on the way up to Laramie
Royalty free music by PremiumBeat.com
Products Used In This Video – Find Prices
Help me make more of these types of videos by purchasing gear from the links posted on my site. It costs you nothing extra, and helps support me to make more videos.